Why??

I get this the most - from people who hear what I am going to try and do for a year.   Why would you do that?

Its hard to explain.   I feel "called" to do this - I hate that phrase.   It has come to sound trite.

But this is what I am supposed to do.   That's all there is to it, and even though it doesn't sound "holy" or very religious, I know it comes from Him.   And I want to obey Him.   So that's the reason....

And when you start to think this process through I realized a couple other things... This isn't going to be cheaper in many arenas.   I will pay more for some things.   But you know what?   That is going to be just fine.   It means that my resources will be divided up differently than in the past.   It means that I may buy less crap.   And lets be honest - as Americans, we spend a lot of money on crap.   $5 and $10 here and there added on to the WM or Target trip just because its there.   And lets not forget where these items come from... They come from warehouses in Bangladesh who burn and get people trapped inside to make some of this stuff.   It comes at a cost of children's childhoods, of education for little girls.   Some of the things I have purchased I would not be proud to see how they are made.

I know the argument - that even though its cheap, it gives people jobs.... I am not willing to swallow that any more.   I am not.   I am not against giving someone a job - but I want it to be a job that allows them dignity and not just enough to keep them from begging in the street.   I want a wage that allows parents to work and for kids to be kids.   Golden rule people.   I want to have it Rule my wallet as well.

So, somethings will be more expensive.   Boys underwear for instance - I priced some Made in the USA, and let me tell you - the boys' butts may be threadbare before I break down and buy them some - its expensive.   Where will I buy black foam flipflops?   White tank tops?    All of a sudden, things become more precious.   Things my husband trades time away from us for become more important.   I will not waste his time giving to something that does not give honor to that work.   It probably means my days of black foam flipflops are over.   And you know what?   I am slowly becoming fine with that.....

Peace people.  

Comments

  1. excited to see you do this! Very interesting.... :) Just wondering about something. What about buying secondhand? For example, we have a ton of Facebook pages for online garage sales and such. If a mom was selling flip-flops, even though technically they came from Old Navy,would that fit in your rules? Yes, maybe originally something came from a factory with poor conditions. But, maybe you are helping a person that needs money for essentials so they are selling things off. Does this make sense? Anyway, just wondering your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Second hand is entirely permissible. Altho, I am not going to wear someone else's worn old navy flip flops. Her jeans, yes, but not her flip flops ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And this doesn't mean I am off WM (Sams ;) ) forever - I know they carry MANY Made In The USA products and well sourced items - I just cant individually check everything out I buy currently and want to see if I can do it this way for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment