Rules...

This gig has rules.   It has to....   And a hierarchy and goals.   It goes something like this...

1.   Make or grow my own
2.  Buy from a friend/local farmer - hand to hand
3.  Buy from an Oklahoma producer
4.  Buy from a small business (Internet ok here)
5.  Buy from my small town


Ok.   It looks easy.   Its not.   I make a distinction between a "Corporate store" and a "Franchise" which is owned by local peeps.   You may think it is splitting hairs, but its not.   These are businesses that are owned by local people.   My Daylight Donuts is a franchise.   I know the owner and they comment on how my children have grown.   Relationships.    My local Starbucks, while friendly with low turnover rate is Corporate and will be against the rules.   This causes me problems on Sunday morns as my other 2 local choices are not available.  One is not open and one is 10 miles out of my way....   Coffee made at home it is (From a local Boys home which is the best coffee ever and supports a good cause).

There is a reality check.   Goodbye Whole Foods, Sprouts, Starbucks, Old Navy flipflops, Target.   

Thankful Hobby Lobby, Uptown Grocery, Braums are Oklahoma companies.    Cup half full people....

But here is hitch.... My tiny town has a Sonic, local diner, gas station, and a Dollar General.   That's pretty much it.  Oh, and 1 stop sign in the middle of town.   Tiny.   And precious.   And it needs my tax dollars - NEEDS.   So, what am I to do?     Do I support the chain, DG, knowing that it violates my rules, but meets #5?   A Conundrum.    I haven't decided where I land on the Dollar General but I am leaning towards it.....   Not on a regular basis, but for some basic needs - like contact solution....   More about that pickle later.

So here are the "rules" I am going to try to play by all year.   All.   365.   Days.   Heaven help me, I will need it.

Comments

Post a Comment