2019, A Book, A Quest, and Being Naked

So, I have a fabulous friend (many) but one who will start a book and then message me YOU MUST READ THIS.... And while I do bookmark just about every book one of my friends recommends (because my friends read the best things), this friend's recommendations get moved to the top of the list.   She has never done me wrong.  And she has the most bestest name, Piper.   So, as I wait for the library to let me read her recommendation, I read this....

Its a fast read, found it recommended on Pinterest and it was available immediately at my local library, so I swooped.   I will be absolutely honest, I misread the Title and only really went ahead and read it because the cover reminded me of Trenton Lee's trilogy of the Benedict Society and I loved listening to those with my boys.  I didnt want to know how to Pursue Happiness.   I find that kind of thing Tripe.   But when I actually read the title, The Happiness of Pursuit - YES - this could be good.

A little backstory before I get to the book... Because what good story doesnt have a backstory?   I set a goal, or do something every year.   I have done Jen Hatmaker's 7.... I have shopped only Local for a year.   I havent had any soda since 2007 (gave that up for Lent and am still holding strong).   I have added habits and such.  I enjoy the research to accomplishing my goal, and I love the hard, and I love the feeling of finishing. I like finding out how I have changed.  I like it all.  Mostly.  

So, back to the Happiness of Pursuit....   This book is about Quests.   You can read a summary here, but this book grabbed me from the beginning, because it is what I have done above.   And its a much better word than "goal".   Goal is boring - QUEST is magnificent.  It reaches inside because everyone knows the seeker of the Quest is changed and so many times, so is the World - or at least the Seeker's world.   And if you dont know this, you need to read more.   I can give you a list.

So...What is my next Thing to do?   I have been thinking about this for a while.   I usually start in the summer or early fall in case my intentions require preparation.   This year, there is very little prep work needed and I knew almost instantly what I was going to do. 

Here is my 2019 List:

I made an Every Damn Day list.   I put several things that are non-negotiables and I have implemented those now.   And honestly, save a day or 2 I havent made my bed, I have done everything on my list.  These are things that if I get nothing else done, if the day goes to hell in a handbasket, these things will be done and I will have accomplished something for my soul, myself and my home.   My EDDs are read my Bible, Be outside, Make my bed.   I will do my EDD every day in 2019.

I will crochet with yarn in my own home.   I may use the GC my wonderful SIL gave me LAST Christmas, but other than that (because since she spent the money, its already purchased yarn), I will not purchase yarn in 2019.   There is 1 more caveat - I may purchase to finish a project, but I dont anticipate that problem.   My stash is impressive.   Bless.

I am going back to giving up anything bought in China or a country with Slave Labor.   Its not hard, I have previously done this when shopping local so there is not really any prepwork, but it is just paying attention and not buying as much.   The Rule is "DO NO HARM".   I like the converse "GIVE LIFE".   Your dollar is a vote, use it to give life, vote FOR something.   That said,  I am on my 4th year with my phone, and one will need to be purchased some time this year.   I will most likely have to break my rule, but there will be research done for the least harmful phone purchase.   Why do some companies have to be scumbags?   If you know anything about non-scumbag phone makers, please let me know....

I will give up Facebook.   This one is hard.   Because I do like the contact with people, but it has become almost an idol.  I spend too much time, time that should be spent doing just about anything.  I also like the intellectual stimulation, the thinking.  I wonder if its pseudo-thinking, and I guess I will find out, but I am going to break up with FB for 2019.   I am sure I will blog more....

I will map out my path/timeline for going back to Law School.   Here is the naked part.   This has been one of my longest desires.  I used to read law books in high school for fun.  FUN.   Bless my heart.   I had my section and such for OU Law, but decided to stay home with our first child.  I do not regret my decision.  I wouldnt have parented or lawyered well with loyalties divided.   But I am nearing the end of my time with children home, and I can start to think about what I want to be when I grow up.   My heart has always been to use a law degree for women and children, those who most are in need and have the least access.   Justice.   For the widow, for the orphan.  So, I need to make my plan, begin my LSAT studies (which I ROCKED the first time, and Heaven willing, I am better now than at 22).

So, this is my 2019 List - My yearly quest....   Entirely doable with a little denial of self.    Does anyone else do something like this?   What is your list/quest?


Comments

  1. I've kept Facebook so far, but only because there are some people who I only connect with there. However, I've deleted it from my phone and I'm not checking it often.

    Regarding going to Law School, go for it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment